All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Tecumseh 8.5 Carb

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Tecumseh 8.5 Carb Empty
PostSubject: Tecumseh 8.5 Carb   Tecumseh 8.5 Carb Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2018, 8:07 pm

9 years ago when I moved into this house, I knew there was an old chipper in the corner of the garage, but I didn't really care to mess with it.  Today I drug it out and after freeing up the chipper flywheel thing, and a new sparkplug, I got it to start with some starting fluid.  It ran for about a minute before bogging down and dieing.  After that I could only start it/keep it running on carb cleaner or starting fluid.

With carbs being $10 on ebay, I might as well replace it.  The problem is that most of the ones I find on ebay either don't have the choke lever like mine or have 2 hose nipples on the back.  Mine only has one.  Could I just cap the extra off, or does anyone know a specific part number I need to look for.

Tecumseh 8.5 Carb RUsbwyc
Tecumseh 8.5 Carb O5ztVAz
Tecumseh 8.5 Carb SyzSPml
Tecumseh 8.5 Carb EBA49Iu
Tecumseh 8.5 Carb N35oqJb
Tecumseh 8.5 Carb 4Wf1c6h
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Tecumseh 8.5 Carb Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tecumseh 8.5 Carb   Tecumseh 8.5 Carb Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2018, 9:19 pm

You might be able to swap that choke over to the new carb...you might not.  The ebay carbs aren't genuine oem so oem parts may not exactly match up and fit them.  I ran into this same problem on a K241.  

Honestly with how simple these carbs are I'd just clean it.  You can find the small o-rings for the idle and main jets at a good hardware store or maybe in an o-ring kit.  Bowl gaskets are dirt cheap.  That gasket doesn't really have to be perfect anyway.  It's the needle and seats job to keep the fuel bowl from getting too full.

As far as two barb fittings go.  the 1/4" one is the fuel inlet.  The 1/8 one is for the remote primer bulb in the blower shroud which is really common on snowblowers around here.  So common that's I've cleaned probably at least two dozen of those carbs by now.  Pretty easy ones to do.  You could just cap off the 1/8" barb for the primer bulb.
Back to top Go down

Tecumseh 8.5 Carb
Page 1 of 1