All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Blew up my first trans, now what?

Go down 
+2
Crazy_Carl
zlkahn1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zlkahn1

Blew up my first trans, now what? Empty
PostSubject: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 9:44 am

Hi, I bought a craftsman with an 18Hp opposed twin and a 6-speed transmission. I immediately swapped the pulleys and went around thrashing it. Long story short the transaxle doesn't do anything now. Now I don't know where to get the parts to rebuild it( hardened gears and gears with a higher ratio) and anything else I need to completely rebuild it. Does anyone know what to do?
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 12:35 pm

Most guys start hunting around for a parts tractor with a good trans in it.
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 1:02 pm

Well hold on now, let's not go assuming it's blown just yet. Usually if a transaxle has an internal failure to the point where it will not turn the wheels it will make a noise like a grinding. If you let the clutch out and literally nothing happens, it might not be the transaxle. I'd start by checking the belt, and then the woodruff key for the pulley in the transaxle pinion shaft. If that key has fallen out the pulley will just spin on the shaft

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 1:30 pm

AllisKidD21 wrote:
Well hold on now, let's not go assuming it's blown just yet. Usually if a transaxle has an internal failure to the point where it will not turn the wheels it will make a noise like a grinding. If you let the clutch out and literally nothing happens, it might not be the transaxle. I'd start by checking the belt, and then the woodruff key for the pulley in the transaxle pinion shaft. If that key has fallen out the pulley will just spin on the shaft

It’s not making a grinding noise, but I can’t get it in a gear, the tractor rolls freely no matter where the shifter is. The pulley, along with the shaft that goes down is rotating but the wheels are not turning. What does that sound like to you?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 2:20 pm

And the axle is not turning either?  I've broken a wheel key before and it will do the same. You didn't mention if it was locked so another test. Jack up the rear and turn a tire, does the other go the opposite direction?

After all external is in check then it would be time to investigate with a dissection and see what broke.  Good source is EBAY for individual parts.  Sometimes the manufacturer if it isn't too old, but that may cost more.  You will need to figure out what trans you have. I bet it is on the back underneath on a white sticker.

Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig214Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig314
Back to top Go down
biggasmowers
Veteran Member
biggasmowers
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2018, 2:53 pm

Having blown up or destroyed about 13 trannys myself it's always good to pull the tranny and crack it open. Also depending on the brand it might already be a better option to upgrade it. Since its a craftsman with a oppy in it I would say it has a spicer or Foote 5 or 6 speed transaxle in it, which are grease lubed same as the older pancake peerless trannys. If you run one hard and it cannot cool due to old or nonexsistaint grease it can wreck them fast. I have had them lock up the gear clusters or the shifting pins can break. Find out what model it is or provide in depth pictures of it.
Back to top Go down
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 9:46 am

MightyRaze wrote:
And the axle is not turning either?  I've broken a wheel key before and it will do the same.  You didn't mention if it was locked so another test.  Jack up the rear and turn a tire, does the other go the opposite direction?

After all external is in check then it would be time to investigate with a dissection and see what broke.  Good source is EBAY for individual parts.  Sometimes the manufacturer if it isn't too old, but that may cost more.  You will need to figure out what trans you have. I bet it is on the back underneath on a white sticker.

when I push the tractor the pulley spins a little, this makes me think that your key idea may be correct. I will check. IDK if this helps but it broke when I hit the brakes and came to a complete stop. After that, it never moved, even though it made the slight whining noise that being in gear makes.
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 10:20 am

Sounds to me like a problem I have with my ayp almost weekly, axle key sheared or fell out. I would check that before anything, but thats because Im really used to this issue.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
zlkahn1

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 1:06 pm

Double W Cross Ranch wrote:
Sounds to me like a problem I have with my ayp almost weekly, axle key sheared or fell out.  I would check that before anything, but thats because Im really used to this issue.

When this happens is it just one wheel's key or both?
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 4:15 pm

Most of the time I see just 1 key to cause this.

Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig214Blew up my first trans, now what? Sig314
Back to top Go down
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member
Double W Cross Ranch
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2018, 4:38 pm

zlkahn1 wrote:
Double W Cross Ranch wrote:
Sounds to me like a problem I have with my ayp almost weekly, axle key sheared or fell out.  I would check that before anything, but thats because Im really used to this issue.

When this happens is it just one wheel's key or both?
Unless the diff is locked, it is most likely just the one.  How I always tested was I let it idle in gear, then I got off and looked at the axles.  If this is the problem, one of them will be spinning inside the rim.
Back to top Go down
https://themagazineishalff.wixsite.com/website
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blew up my first trans, now what?   Blew up my first trans, now what? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blew up my first trans, now what?
Page 1 of 1