All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CosmicArkie

Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Empty
PostSubject: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 3:04 pm

I've got a 42A707 1238 01 18.5hp oppy twin I've shoehorned into my JD 111H mower.  It runs but has a miss; sputters out the exhaust intermittently, just ain't "right".  New coil/plugs.  Went through the carb (3 screw).  Meh.

I noticed there is side play at the flywheel.  Not end/thrust play but side to side.  Hard to measure but noticeable.  Makes air gapping the ignition troublesome.

Is it conceivable that the play is the cause of the miss?  I've put a different 4 screw oppy carb and a side draft off an OHV single with a fabbed elbow on it and the miss is still there.

Now, the governor does vary a little at times and I've read a few threads suggesting that may be the cause, but it just doesn't seem like it is the source of the issue because the miss doesn't coincide with the variations.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

As a little further background, this engine didn't have much of any tar in the crankcase, much less oil when I got it.  I've flushed it out and put fresh dino's in it.  If the case bore is wallowed out, do any shops still line bore them and press in DU bearings?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member
Crazy_Carl
Veteran Member

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 4:01 pm

I've had an ATC with a loose cam in a similar situation where the ignition pickup sensor is trying to read a magnet that is moving side to side a little. It didn't give me a ton of igntion problems really, but you're situation is a little different.

Did you check your spark plug gaps?
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 5:18 pm

I would pull the flywheel and look to see how much play is on the crank. It shouldn't move to the side any. Most likely that bearing is worn real bad. That would make it miss too, since the gap for coil is not constant but unstable and probably too far away to make spark at times..
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 5:20 pm

I believe those engines have bearings for the crank, see if you can source a replacement
Back to top Go down
AllisKidD21
AllisKidD21

5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts!
2020 Build-Off Entrant
2020 Build-Off Entrant
1st Place Build-Off 2019
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2019

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 6:06 pm

Actually I think they are just a plain bearing surface that's part of the casting in the the block, which is unfortunate because if the bearings are worn that means the block is essentially no good.  I don't know if you could find someone who would bore it out and put bearing inserts in like you mentioned, but that might be an option.

If the crank bearings are chewed that bad though, your oil should look like glitter glue after some run time, so maybe check that out as well before you tear it down. Maybe there's a small chance the flywheel itself is loose on the crank taper.

It's also worth noting that the Briggs oppy's were sorta known for popping exhaust valve seats out of place, so that could possibly be the noise you're hearing at the exhaust.

"This'll either wake you up or put you to sleep forever!"- Red Green         "Whatever you do you should do right, even if it's something wrong." - Hank Hill

- MTD Off-Road Build
      - Ford LT 110 Off-Road Build
      - Craftsman GT 6000 Off-Road Build
       - Sears LT11 Rat Rod Build *2019 Build-Off Winner!*

Garden Tractor Collection: Allis B-110 x2, 710, 716, & 410 - Wheel Horse 655, 953 & 500 Special - Case 444 - Bolens Versamatic, G10 & 1668 Diesel Swapped - Cub 106, 124 & 1000/149 Frankentractor - Ford 120, LGT 125 & 145 - White 1650 Yard Boss - Moto Mower 710-100
Back to top Go down
CosmicArkie

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2019, 10:28 pm

Plugs are new & gap was checked. I had a valve seat issue on a previous flatty single and it just made RUDE noises. And died. Dead.

I picked up the B&S shop manual for the oppy twins and it mentioned the possibility of line boring a plain bearing casing and inserting "DU" bearings with Tool #bla-bla-de-bla. Finding a shop with a tool might be problematic. And expensive.

Thanks for the inputs.
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2019, 4:32 pm

Ask a regular machinist shop or tool and die shop. The work needing done, if that is the problem, would be a simple job to do as long as you tear down the engine and have the insert already. Probably cost like 10 bucks to do too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question   Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs & Stratton Oppy Twin question
Page 1 of 1