All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Rapid battery swap

Go down 
+2
Nevadablue
FatMike
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FatMike
FatMike

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

SWAP - Rapid battery swap Empty
PostSubject: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2021, 4:15 pm

So with SB50 connectors and tender plug I can have 1 or 2 batteries fully charged ready to drop in faster than a jumpbox and will be good all day without having to lug around the jumpbox.

I have been thinking about how to quickly secure batteries in a tractor and I think I have an idea.

Starting with the box that gets bolted to the tractor, it will be plasma cut out of sheet stock and folded and welded and should fit into those tight openings under the tractor seats.

Next comes the battery hold down and again made out of sheet stock cut, folded and welded and this will slide right into the box in the tractor and have a cable that goes across the battery in the middle between the battery posts. The cable will be a battery lifting handle and it will also pull the 2 spring loaded barrel bolts back so it can slide into the tractor box and once the cable is let go the bolts will engage into the tractor box locking the battery.

The plasma cutter will make this easy and consistent.

This is about the most compact, simple yet secure idea I have come up with without having to look for a wrench to swap a battery.
If I had just one house and was retired none of this would be necessary, but I'd still want it.

Below are pictures of a battery I set up with SB50 connectors and a tender plug.
(I think the pictures are too big)

SWAP - Rapid battery swap Rbs11
SWAP - Rapid battery swap Rbs211

Nevadablue likes this post

Back to top Go down
Nevadablue
Established Member
Nevadablue
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2021, 4:19 pm

The pics look good from here.
Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2021, 10:29 pm

Very cool and a great idea! I'm using these clamp on style on my build not just for ease of installation and removal but because of where my battery is located (on the back under the fender), it's almost impossible to get the wrench in there without shorting out the positive so I hunted around and found these for $15: SWAP - Rapid battery swap Screen27

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

Nevadablue and FatMike like this post

Back to top Go down
DempseySolutions
DempseySolutions

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2022, 12:30 pm

@Brianator if you hook up the postive connection first prior to the negative there is never a chance to arc out

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.Dempsey-Solutions.com
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2022, 3:54 pm

@DempseySolutions For sure because "without a ground the power has nowhere to go" but there's so little room to get a wrench in it's almost inevitable to touch part of the frame/body. That will be solved when I'm finished rewiring The Warhorse (whenever I get back to working on it!), these will still prevent a short if the body caves in or battery gets loose and jumps though! Lol.

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~

DempseySolutions likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2022, 4:28 pm

Hmmm…. that an old 140 Deere? Cool tractor  @FatMike
Back to top Go down
TechnoChicken
Established Member
TechnoChicken
Established Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitimeMarch 9th 2022, 4:49 pm

FatMike wrote:
So with SB50 connectors and tender plug I can have 1 or 2 batteries fully charged ready to drop in faster than a jumpbox and will be good all day without having to lug around the jumpbox.

I have been thinking about how to quickly secure batteries in a tractor and I think I have an idea.

Starting with the box that gets bolted to the tractor, it will be plasma cut out of sheet stock and folded and welded and should fit into those tight openings under the tractor seats.

Next comes the battery hold down and again made out of sheet stock cut, folded and welded and this will slide right into the box in the tractor and have a cable that goes across the battery in the middle between the battery posts. The cable will be a battery lifting handle and it will also pull the 2 spring loaded barrel bolts back so it can slide into the tractor box and once the cable is let go the bolts will engage into the tractor box locking the battery.

The plasma cutter will make this easy and consistent.

This is about the most compact, simple yet secure idea I have come up with without having to look for a wrench to swap a battery.
If I had just one house and was retired none of this would be necessary, but I'd still want it.

Below are pictures of a battery I set up with SB50 connectors and a tender plug.
(I think the pictures are too big)

Oh, look it's a neverstart SWAP - Rapid battery swap 1098998679
Actually looks like a pretty good idea to me, I am plagued with too many dead batteries on lawn tractors, I have found wing nuts make a good solution to this problem, I think the MTD's batteries kinda hold themselves in for the most part...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rapid battery swap   SWAP - Rapid battery swap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rapid battery swap
Page 1 of 1