All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Mutant turtle

Go down 
+6
Creepycrawler
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
MightyRaze
Brianator
JittyJat
fbisurveilancevan
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
fbisurveilancevan

Mutant turtle - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2022, 1:27 am

The pulley is 3.75 inch I was actually shooting for 4 or 4.25 but this one had double grub screws including one on the shaft key which was far superior.

Also the bolts for the pulleys have been left long so I can simply put guides on the bottom.
Something that I have found to be far superior as a mechanic. Some mower models tend to have this standard so you can replace a belt without loosening pulleys.
I even cut away the old guides because of this.

This is partially the reason why it's taking so long to do some simple tasks.
As a mechanic I know what works and what doesn't work but more importantly sometimes we receive attachment or upgrade kits without any instructions and you will be forced to engineer it so that it Will last a lifetime.

Iam trying to apply the same to this machine
Actually the shift linkage is not really to my liking as I find the throw too short and I have other plans but will leave it until I find a way to make something that has 0 play in the linkage.
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 2nd 2022, 2:14 am

So I just got a lucky streak.
Customer had an accident and it broke the arm.
I managed to take it off with a grinder and a lot of patience.Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20144
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20145
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20146

These ones are pretty much indestructible but I will send it to be refurbished to be sure which would set me back 25 dollars.

Just need to look for some new shorter arms
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 3rd 2022, 2:00 am

These ones have proven to be a pain to remove but I also got the other side offMutant turtle - Page 4 Img20149
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20147
Some thread stripage but theres more than enough meat left (over 1 inch)
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20148
Measuring to cut the arms

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 4th 2022, 5:28 am

So I finished up most of that yesterday.
Not being in the u.s. figuring out thread sizes can be a bit of a pain but I narrowed it down to 7/16 unf

Unfortunately finding balljoints in 7/16 is a pain or I simply can't get them shipped so iam forced to use studded heim joints so I ordered a couple of right hand thread ends.

Meanwhile in the furniture department we are going Bananas
This is a nos backrest for one of the older bigger ferris models with the caterpillar engine.
I have a nos seat cushion to go with it and a used frame in the junkyard.
These are essentially the rolls Royce seats among any mower I've driven
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20150
But she looks a bit ratty and not the right colour
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20151
So I stripped it down to the basics and will either have a new cover made in red and black or I'll ask the mil to give it a go
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20152
I will add a thin layer of soft foam because even though it is new it has gone a little bit flat after 20 years in storage
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2022, 4:11 am

Old Vs new old Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20153
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20155
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20154
Just about fits
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20156
That needs a good clean, luckily only the inside is rusted but you won't see that.
The outside I'll just do with some paint stripper.
Think I'll just paint it red aswell

The backrest is already sent to an upholsterer, I did ask for some slight modifications to the backrest as iam a Skinny guy.
Just wanted some more side support to keep me from sliding out
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2022, 11:09 am

Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20157
Intake is stitched up.
exhaust is on the way as well, I just welded that one up with a minute to spare at work, just need to Grind the flange down some
Back to top Go down
Krawler86
Krawler86

2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2022, 12:10 am

That steering rack is really cool. How many turns is it lock to lock? Also i like your belt and clutch arrangement, its good inspiration for my own stuff.

Im looking forward to seeing your exhaust progress as well, thats another avenue im wanting to go as well. Yours is looking great so far.
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2022, 3:19 am

Krawler86 wrote:
That steering rack is really cool.  How many turns is it lock to lock?  Also i like your belt and clutch arrangement, its good inspiration for my own stuff.  

Im looking forward to seeing your exhaust progress as well, thats another avenue im wanting to go as well.  Yours is looking great so far.

Well the header is done

Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20158
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 10th 2022, 10:37 am

Done with this now
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20160
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20161
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20159
It's hanging on one bolt, pardon me but iam done for today and going home.
Need a shower to get rid of the fibreglass aswell

Back to top Go down
Brianator
Brianator

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2022 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2022, 3:35 pm

Nice work on the header it looks good and solid!

My All Terrain Tractors:
- "The WarHorse" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Romping in Progress!)
- Roper "Trailblazer" ~ 1986 Roper LT110CR (Trailblazing in Progress!)
- The "Mud Duck" ~ 1969 Bolens 1225 Hydro (2022 Build Off 2nd place!)
- The "Silver Bullet" ~ 1984 Sears Craftsman LT(V)11 (MTD Built) (Part 1)
- The "Silver Bullet" (Take 2) ~ 2024 Build Off entry (Work in progress)
- Roper "Offroadster" ~ 1979 Roper T4328 (Romping in Progress!)
- 1973 Massey Ferguson MF12 ~ (Sold to a good home)

Click Here To See The DIY and Build Threads I've Created!

~My Real Hobby Is Collecting Projects!~
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2022, 6:56 am

Brianator wrote:
Nice work on the header it looks good and solid!

Yeah it really worked out the way i wanted without too much hassle.
That bottom bolt will always be a pain in the ass
I found that a Ferris brake plate bolt is a 5/16th bolt with a 5/16 12 point flanged head so that made things a little easier

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2022, 6:38 am

Cover back on for the last time, I might replace the cover at some point though
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20164
It's obvious that the carb and filter aren't original but I tried my best to keep a somewhat stock look.
And that lower exhaust bolt did take me about an hour to put in, it's as tight of a fit as it could be.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20163
Next up is wiring, I already started making a base harness for lights, charging circuit, starter and shut off.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20166
I am using colored wiring loosely based on John Deere wiring as that's my jam.
Other than that I'll just reserve blacks for all minuses and reds for the bigger power wires
Yellow will be aux wiring same as Deere.
Also reusing some connectors, I have new ones but these match closer to the originals
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20165
Fuse box, everything will be independent, these have a single fuse only from the factory but I just wanted to get it organized.
I did go with the original style as found on many equipment.

Other than that I did remove the old exhaust and will be putting the battery there, that also frees up space for the seat

Speaking of seat, almost forgot.
The stitching looks a bit wonky in the picture for some reason but that's not even noticeable on person.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img-2012

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2022, 9:59 am

More seat mania.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20172
Seat foam is a little rough but I'll get that right
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20171
Biggest change will be in the base as I will want to lower the cushion another inch
Ill remove the cloth and brackets and mate the foam directly to the backing.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20170
Backside will be filled in with foam and shaped to the pan just need to remove an inch from the front.
I have a foam cutter on hand so that shouldn't be too bad.
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Img20173

It all sounds a bit Miami and a lot of work to lower the seat another inch but in the end it will all go towards stability.

Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2022, 11:59 am

So, stupid question perhaps but the faux leather is sun baked and ripped and I need to make a decent template.

Anyone know a safe way how to relax it a bit? Hot water bath? Oils?
Back to top Go down
fbisurveilancevan

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2022, 3:42 am

It's been a cold (55/65f) and wet week here and I am going on vacation for 2 weeks in a few days.
Haven't been doing much actually.

Operation steering rack is on hold untill I get some parts in the mail.

I am still wondering if I want to start with the front suspension or just get it driving for now.
Problem here is that if I start with the suspension I will be opening up a can of worms because I most likely need to stretch the frame a little.
This would also mean that I need to work on the hood hinges and the spindles.
I might be better off making a template out of the old brackets and remaking them out of 3/8 steel and incorporating the a arms while it's off the tractor.

Mutant turtle - Page 4 Screen25

That's the setup iam going for since I have all these parts used or new.
I will likely shave down the width of it on both ends and will use the same spring with modifications.
These springs are soft on the Ferris but will be a lot harder for a light machine.
If not I will look for some shock absorbers but would like something quite thin so if someone has an idea that'll be welcome.

For the seat ill be looking for some foam today so I can start on that.

I guess I lost a bit of drive and just want to get it finished but ordering parts and finding time is always slowing me down.

Also have been in a legal matter for the past 2 years and while I won that ordeal I have been dealing with the aftermath.
Actually was wrongfully arrested 2 weeks ago and even though I was released the same day it's just a downer
Back to top Go down
MightyRaze
Administrator
MightyRaze
Administrator

2017 Build-Off Finalist
2017 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2019 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2022
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2022
10,000 POSTS!
10,000 POSTS!
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2022, 12:13 pm

I'd put the project aside. Get ready for you vacation and enjoy it. I'd just drive it for now and get some enjoyment out of it. If you are set for doing suspension, collect your parts and do it later when the drive comes back. It's what I do.

Mutant turtle - Page 4 Sig115PROJECTS:
     Marshal ........93 Craftsman GT6000      
     Red Bandit ...72 Wheel Horse Raider 12
     Dirty Rat........77 Sears Suburban
     Bowser..........01 Murray Widebody LT
     Other projects
Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@MightyRaze" in your post!
Mutant turtle - Page 4 Sig214Mutant turtle - Page 4 Sig314
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mutant turtle   Mutant turtle - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mutant turtle
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Tractor Project Builds :: Off Road & Rally Tractors-
Jump to: