All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kohler Courage

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Slipperz
Slipperz

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2023, 8:59 pm

Howdy!
So I have heard the awfulness of the Kohler Courage, but I have not experienced. I have owned a Courage 20 and I really liked it. It was powerful and had lots of torque. It was in a MTD Gold with a hydro paired with it and I had to do nothing to that motor to get it to run. All i did was filters and fuel line and a valve cover gasket as it leak ALOT of oil. I was wondering if anyone here has experienced them or if they are just fairy tales?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Slipperz
Slipperz

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2023, 9:39 pm

Here is a pic it was called Goldilocks
Kohler Courage Goldil10

Brianator likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member
Rustbucket Garage
Veteran Member

2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2023, 9:48 pm

They seem nice until you look inside.

Plastic cam gears.

Blocks love to crack.

They’re just junk IMO. some are going to last 1,000 hours, some make it to 1/10 that.

Inverse is true for a good engine. Some lemon somewhere slips through.

Really it boils down to they are built as cheaply as possible and they simply dont take the hard work the way a vanguard or Oppy will or a cast iron K341.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Slipperz
Slipperz

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitimeJuly 10th 2023, 10:09 pm

Oh okay thanks I know they had those problems but didnt know how often they happened.
And i believe in old cast iron as well!
My Sears Suburban "Putt Putt" has a HH120 in it and I dont want to know how many hours are on it but it runs like a top!

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
JB_4x4

2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2024, 4:59 am

From repairing my neighbor's Kawasaki Fr651v and from seeing the abuse it takes, I would count that as an engine $$$ worth buying new or used.

As for Kohler, I liked the older Kohler Magnum 8 and 10 HP, I do not think I would rush out and buy one of the newer ones. Think of them as a USA made engine, from Chinesium sourced parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kohler Courage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler Courage   Kohler Courage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kohler Courage
Page 1 of 1