All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Flipped tractor and now it wont start.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
muddawg96

Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Empty
PostSubject: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2011, 10:03 pm

Today my friend flipped my tractor over on its side, and when we flipped it back over it smoked alot then cut off. Now it won't start. There is alot of oil in the air filter. Can someone tell me whats wrong/ what to do to fix it?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 8:30 am

Youll want to pull the plug and make sure the combustion chamber didnt fill with oil - the motor will hydro lock and snap the flywheel key. youll want to pull the flywheel shroud n check the flywheel key.

Youll also have to clean the carb, most likely change the oil as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: tractor won't start! HELP!   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 1:55 pm

I've had a few do this. they usually dont run long enough upside down to do much damage. just gets oil in places its not supposed to be. change the plug and it should fire up, as long as it didnt stir up crap in the bottom of the gas tank. it will run rough and smoke alot, but it will finally clear out. might need to clean or replace the spark plug when you are done

I buy my plugs 10 at a time. that way I dont to waste a lot of time dicking with spark plugs... when in doubt, change it out.
I have seen plugs that have a good spark but wont pop good enough under compression to fire one off.
spend an hour jacking around with either and cleaning the carb only to find out that a new plug would have fixed it to start with.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeNovember 18th 2011, 11:27 pm

rat88 is right about plugs. I've had them new from the package and not fire. But yes I have also flipped my tractors over MANY MANY times and usually a quick cylinder clean with plug out and some good running will burn off any oil in no time. Depending on what type of engine does it possibly have a low-oil shutoff? Actually usually when I flip tractors I can usually flip em' back over before they stall, or, with my tether switch they shut off BEFORE rolling and running upside-down. Tether switches are a must on a fast tractor.
Back to top Go down
muddawg96

PostSubject: Re: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeNovember 19th 2011, 1:04 am

the plugs look fouled, its an 18.5 briggs twin. Im going to get new plugs tomorrow ans see if that works.

I'm new to all terrain lawn tractors, and ive done lots of mods to the tractor, just now as knowledgeable about engines as I need/ would like to be.

Thanks for the help!

Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitimeDecember 9th 2011, 9:44 pm

ive had myn on its side and it did the same thing in it just got oil in places that there is not suposed to be any oil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flipped tractor and now it wont start.   Flipped tractor and now it wont start. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flipped tractor and now it wont start.
Page 1 of 1