All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Off Road Build

Go down 
+4
Ford Boi
dangeroustoys56
vpk
gearheadmike
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AcreFarm

MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 12:56 pm

FWIW 00 grease is a good alternative to gear oil. It won't seep out from around the bushings or find its way onto the brake like oil has a tendency to.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 3:47 pm

im going to clean the case and rtv it i all ready have a plug in the casing just going to put in a vent.
Well today i picked up a lincoln pro mig 135 for $50 idk if that will do the job for my gears?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: MTD Off Road Build   MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 3:53 pm

the 135's are a pretty good welder. the 70's and 80's are junk
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 3:57 pm

its like new guy didnt use it much it came with a new roll of .035 aluminum wire. so i just need to get a roll of steel wire
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: MTD Off Road Build   MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 4:14 pm

ive never tried to run aluminum in the mig. sound like they will jam up unless you use a spool gun
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 4:28 pm

yea id think the same maybe if ur had the lead stright out but idk,i wont be using it for that anyways
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 6:38 pm

Here's an alternative to welding...
https://youtu.be/9EI_JOdGFSI

Otherwise that welder will do fine, just make sure the weld area is clean.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2011, 6:55 pm

i like that just got to find 2 more gears tho
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 11:52 am

I'd offer to help out with the gears, but I'm still laid-up from a wreck. If you have a small engine shop near by, stop & talk to them. Most times they strip the guts from old transaxles to scrap the casings, you can probably pick up the extra gears for cheap or free.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 4:33 pm

yea theres 2 places near me im going to try and see tomarrow if they have anything,if not ill just have to keep an eye at my cuz's as he owns a salvage yard
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2011, 7:25 pm

Eh went to the only near by places around me to see if anyone has 2 gears or a whole transaxle and nothing Neutral i might just leave if for now till i find some cause i like the fact if i did it that way with 2 extra gears i could allways change it back. Anyways im going to still run the gear oil in it i did drill and tap a brake fitting. Just going to use a 1''' or 2'' brake line with rubber hose clamped to it with a pvc valve.should work.

felt sketchy drilling a whole in my T-axle but worked out great Very Happy
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Vent
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 8:43 am

Update i decided im not going to use this for mudding/offroading i got another tractor givin to me im going to use that for a woods/mud/beater rig.
Im going to use this for a little speeder lol.

Brought the mtd in got the rest of the hanging linkages off,took my clutch rods&brake rods off put new pins in it and some washers as they were sloppy as heck. Deciced not to lock trans but did permatex gasket both halfs and added gear oil in it 85w-140 .Took brake assy all off and cleaned up and anti-sized it all .One thing i dont like my engine sits to the right alot so i hope i got enough room for a front pully swap in time.
Still got alot to do
-lower seat
-bolt front axle solid
-change oil
-battery
-different air intake set up
-smaller front tires
-odds and ends-

MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Hnb
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Jb
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Ttrans
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 11th 2011, 8:20 pm

Update: Well the mtd has been sitting out side, all the local stores have no belt size's i need in stock Mad so i got a 5'' on rear and the stock on front as the only tractor supply around has very little pulleys to pick from im going to try and take the original rear pulley and mount it on the front. If i have room. I got to make a belt tensior or something as i noticed my belt hits my shifter. Aslo i will be Up grading (i think) to another 11hp B&S but its a comercial,cast iron engine as my current one Suspect leakes oil from the seals. Well headed out now to mess with the front pulley.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 12th 2011, 1:19 am

well got the front pulley done tonight im stoked it came out great (least in my eyes) its stong/stright and good lol, i have a feeling i wont be able to go any bigger in front ever in time as my engine is off centered. Anyways heres some pics
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Pulley1
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Pulley2
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 24th 2011, 8:45 am

Update! as in my other project murray came to an end ive decided i wont be using this for a speeder but a off road/mild mudder/ect

so this mower had the 11hp wich leaked oil from the base seal like stupid lol so that was long removed to my other tractor,well last night got the 11hp
industrial commercial wich seems to run tons better its more quite and dont leak so much oil lol. The original engine pulley for it i choped up for a diff project but i had another only prob is it sits a tad lower and the rear pulley i put on sits a tad high so the belt is off and throws it,so i got to put a spacer between the rearend and frame least 1/2 in.

what needs to be done:
Get a new belt
get some hardwear for rearend
lift rear to set pulleys even
install push button ignition
put set of rear tires on the front
bolt grill&hood on
try and mod rear tires on
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2011, 10:15 pm

well ran into pulley problems my 8'' front i made hits so im using stock for now in front still got 6'' on rear. my rear is the cast so it sits a little higher then stock wich is causing my belt to ride off the clutch pulley so i about a 1/2'' lift on rear to drop the pulley down to match up and i found out my hubs i made for the keyway axle will fit my mtd duel flat side axle,so thats bonus. Measured my belt and need a 1/2 x 79in and wouldnt u believe it tsc/true value/ace/ect dont have any in stock and online shipping is long Suspect just my luck so waiting till i get one ugh then a update and maybe a quick video description of it lol.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 5:19 pm

I used a 6" on my mod MTD and that was a tight fit - MTD's have a strange way of mounting motors to one side ( for the steering arm) - i suppose if you were handy with a welder and had extra steel , the frame could be ' bumped ' out to fit the pulley.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 5:59 pm

i have just enough room for the 8'' its where the hole is for the engine it has a lip like deal and my pulley hits it, im gunna wait anyways as if i keep it a offroader i dont need it to be too fast.
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 7:06 pm

If you plan to going fast, i would watch that stock steering.i had the steering fail on my mtd at 6mph, and i can tell you that you dont want it happening at 6mph, let alone 20mph +. Just a heads up Wink
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2011, 9:05 pm

i see ppl doing the direct steer but i dont rly want to go there and ive been through my steering ball joints good and new pins and greased up.

SWEET i finally got a belt out of everywhere autozone had it for $8 and its an actul tractor belt. so tomarrow im going to try it and see for the first time how the rear pulley swap go's. First have to get sisters car fixed,damn thing is stored for winter and fu#k#$g mice went and chewed the main wire harness chewed cyl 6&4 injector wires off and the master cylinder fluid level wires and 2 more Suspect . Any how did pull up my little murray for this summer Smile
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Mini
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeDecember 30th 2011, 11:57 pm

well got the tractor going finally, the pulley i swaped to rear sat higher so i i to put just about a 1/2in lift in rear to get the pulley to line up, got gas line and wires hooked up,got belt on went for a few runs and didnt make it far No the damn belt kept kicking off when engauging the clutch so i put in a small belt retainer/guide works but belt is hitting my shifter and sh!t still not right. the clutch set up on it sux bad wixh i know is causing most of the problems. so i got to fig how to build a new clutch set up,any ideas???
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 3rd 2012, 10:54 pm

Update on the mtd got the rear in back in and shimed up/belt installed and a quick idle pulley, hooked up battery. Got the grill&hood mounted along with lights hooked up,the old seat was kinda riped up and staying wet so i just pulled it off like it better but its rough in the bumps and cold lol.
just running the crap outa it till spring then plan on building a double clutch set up and more front axle travel and bumpers ect. as everything now is froze lol. Well i did take it on its first romp yesterday eavning it started snowing wich gave a nice dusting,it went good got it stuck in my little swamp hole out back looked froze well wrong lmao half way across the whole thing fell through ,its not deep enough to worry abt but enough where once u get in ur not coming out so with a hand managed to get it out and back to riding.

some probs im facing is when i start sometimes in 5th it stalls the engine,is that normal?
also when full rev in 5th it seems like it reving back and forth like the govern/rev limiter is on i dnt remember my old plain 11hp doing that so im going to try and change carbs to see if that helps.
Next update ill prob do a quick video as a basic walk around lol
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2012, 7:17 pm

ok well i made a video just a review its been cold as heck here and so cant work on it but here it is and isnt the best vid its my 1st vid ive done myself on youtube lol.
https://youtu.be/_WxTz8Sw6A8
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 6th 2012, 6:36 pm

havnt done anything to the monkeyward yet do to weather but i found a set of atv tires on craigslist. 4 atv tires on wheels with 2 front hubs i ended up trading 2 chainsaws i had which were givin to me. got home and checked them out the front tires are near bald in center outer lugs good and they hold air so im gunna through those back on craigs list,Now the rear tires sweet Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy well here there

Maxxis Sur-Trak atv tires 25X10X12 in really good shape no cuts/holes that i see good lugs too.
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Subterrian
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Subterrian1

Now i got a prob i need to make these work some how??? i cant weld to the hubs like my other ones i made cause there alluminum so im stuck on this.
heres the hubs i got with them there 6'' bolt pattern
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Hub1-1
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 13th 2012, 10:57 pm

Small Update havnt been doing much, currently looking for a vehicle and a job. But anyways i had an old set of wheels with bad tires well my cuz has a plazma cutter cheers so i cut the center out of them for the hub cause my axles have the 2 flat spots and you cant buy them hubs around here. well i just bolted one of the centers to the wheels & tires i just got and well pic tells it all.
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Mtdcrazy

There Huge on it lmao, but i quickly decided im not going to use them for this tractor as fenders/foor board needs modding.
well i had an old set of goodyear sure grip tires 5-12 2ply and i was bored so i welded the centers that i cut out and put them onto these , there narrow as heck and the tractors a little tipsy but i think im going to use these for spares.
Old stock wheels cut
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 PICT0735

welded up
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 PICT0737

Narrow haha
MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 PICT0736

Tomarrow i plan on building my front bumper and maybe my back bar.

Does anyone know the correct carb ajustments for 11/12 hp???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: MTD Off Road Build   MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJanuary 14th 2012, 1:40 am

BTW the fattys were on ass backwards.. works in the sand, but no so good in the mud
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Off Road Build    MTD Off Road Build    - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Off Road Build
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next