All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2011, 11:21 pm

Ok, So to make a long story short I suck at rebuilding rearends. I am looking for something that is heavy duty that I will never have to replace. I have been told the peerless 800 series are tough but they look dinky. No offense. I have blown out 3 rearends so far in my craftsman. A 6 speed and 2 5 speeds.. They were stock yada yada. I like the john deere rearends on my 110 and 112 those suckers are heavy duty lol. The problem is trying to find a heavy duty rearend with the pulley on the top. The john deere engines are horizontal shaft but my offroader is a vertical shaft. I tried to rebuild 2 of them tonight to try and put in but it is not possible. So options..... Sell the craftsman and buy another john deere or ?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 2:30 pm

You don't want just any 800 series Peerless, you want to find a model 820. They use 1" axles and are rated for ground engaging equipment... Those, and model 600's are about the toughest transaxles you'll find with a vertical input.
Now, if you want heavier than that look for a 1200 or 2300 series Peerless (like in your 112). They are side input, but there are tractors that use vertical shaft engines and horizontal input transaxles, they just twist the belt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lawnmower REARENDS   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 2:32 pm

Most of the problems I have with the peerless is snapping the axle housing. once you open them up, the gears look pretty beefy. I drew up a deal to brace the outer axle mounts so they wouldnt break, but never got around to building it. I just accepted that they were gonna crack and didnt drive them so hard. I use the heavy duty stuff for trail mowers now. the racers are a different story. lighter is better, so I dont use aggressive tires that grab and dont dump the clutch trying to do wheelies
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 3:31 pm

Well, I am going to parts the offroad mower and use this allis chalmers t-811 for an offroader. What do you guys think? Just search this number in the ebay item search : 300628993006 I just won it on ebay for 127 bucks.. lol
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 4:14 pm

The t811 is a decent tractor, I had the "pleasure" of repairing one years back. The biggest issue I had with it was worn linkages & variator clutch. And people think MTD variable speeds are finicky No
Yours looks to be pretty solid, as long as the driveline is in good shape you will have a tough machine... cast iron rear end that runs on real bearings and in oil, not bushings & grease. It's also got a limited slip differential Exclamation
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2011, 4:23 pm

I figure anything under 150 is good for an offroader. I will sell off the mower deck for around 100-150 and make my money back.. I have my rims and tires on the front of my craftsman that will go on it then a set of bigger ag tires for the back..
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 1:15 am

Well with me this is what usually happens. I get a tractor and people say NOOOO do not mod that. Resell it. I just figured out this allis chalmers is a collectors item and worth over a grand? 3 people told me this. One 800 the others at least a grand. I was like WTF.. lol.. The steering is very tight needs to be loosened up. It also needs stator and drive belts.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 6:19 am

Any GT type tractor can be worth a grand - should say " show me the money for it and its yours" and see what they say .

Ive had a bunch of people say i should mod out several of my tractors, personally i like them too much to hack em up .

Shouldve herd how many complained when i took my 69 wheelhorse apart to make into a mod - simple reason of would cost too much to redo is all: motor wasnt running, was missing way too many parts, too rusty - list goes on- wouldve been one thing if it was complete, wouldve restored it.

I used to take my stock tractors down in the swamp, never hurt em - id say if you want to do some trail riding and offroading - go for it - just do mods that can be reversed ( no welding) .

About the steering - more then likely rust/water has gotten into the steering bits - my 84 dynamark had lousy steering, the right spindle was nearly all rusted up inside the front axle- id take it apart, clean and regrease the steering componets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lawnmower REARENDS   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 11:13 am

The market on GTs is real soft around here. I started buying up the real cheap one thinking I could make a few bucks re selling them. Nobody want to spend $1000 for a 30 year old heavy duty tractor when they can go buy a new throw away mower for the same price. the guys that know what they are worth aint buying because the prices are about half of what they were 5 years ago. It just come down to how long do you want these things piling up before you can sell them and how much you can afford to tie up in "inventory"
They are only worth what you can sell them for. if you want to sell them fast...put a low price on it. if you want top dollar....be prepared to keep them for a few years. I have seen the same tractors on CL for a long time with crazy stupid prices on them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lawnmower REARENDS   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2011, 4:41 pm

here is a good example. been for sale for 6 months that I know of. good looking restored '74 gilson $500 (down from $900 a few months ago)
5 years ago this would have been gone in a week for $900.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/2737449340.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?   Whats the most heaviest duty rear end? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the most heaviest duty rear end?
Page 1 of 1