All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
arild365
arild365

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Empty
PostSubject: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2010, 11:12 pm

kk guys so ive dicided to do a tire swap on torque, my off road lawn tractor. So far, every thing is working out great and seems itll work. All i need to do is grind a bit off the front(used to be rear) tires so i can put my Cclips back on. Il also have to make so custum hubs for the rear tires ( that i got for free) whitch im thinking of getting a friend (machinist) to make.

I also have vids on youtube that you can follow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDbMLKkCXhU

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) HPIM1707

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) HPIM1708

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) HPIM1709
sorry you have to rotate your head to see the pic Razz

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) HPIM1710

as you can see it has way more clearance.

I stiil need to make the hubs but shouldnt take too long
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 3:09 am

woah your very lucky getting them for nothing. i am going to have to buy mine.

should be cool when its done.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 6:50 am

thats gonna be awesome when its done!! bounce

You said you are going to grind down some of the hub on the used to be rear wheels so you can use your c-clips.
i have the same problem right now, where if just alittle metal came off then i could use my wheels.
Does anyone think this will weaken the rims in any way???
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 6:57 am

Those will get y places- nice score. Y might have to do the spindle extension- tires will rub the spindles and or body when y turn. I bot a set of 4 lug hubs and 5 lug hubs for my tractors from northern tools - the 4 lugs are kinda small - 5 lugs are 'supposed ' to be for atv wheels - arent cheep and run a 1" axle- probably is easiest to either find some sort of hub or have your freind make up a pair.

At TSC i saw a pair of those tires with rims on clearance for $65 each! So y got a bargain.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:00 am

Indianaboy93 : No wont weaken the wheels- but will make them close to the chassis/body/spindles and you might have contact issues.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:04 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Indianaboy93 : No wont weaken the wheels- but will make them close to the chassis/body/spindles and you might have contact issues.

oh. well the wheels i'm tryin put on have about the same issue. i think even less metal would have to come off for mine.
ugh so many options to do one thing. lol

Man i just can't get over how good that mower looks with them wheels. lol. maybe its because i have the same craftsman mower (minus most of your mods)
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:08 am

Even on my MTD im having contact issues- with the axle tighter to the body- on full turns the wheels hit the grille - i need to make a couple spindle stops is all.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 7:12 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Even on my MTD im having contact issues- with the axle tighter to the body- on full turns the wheels hit the grille - i need to make a couple spindle stops is all.

when i slid the wheels on to just see how it would look and everything if i remember right i didn't have any issues. but that was awhile ago.
yea spindle stops are simple and work great
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:56 am

thanks guys, nothing is hitting exept for the custom bumper that already needed to be taken of cause its too thin off metal. I looked a t it for a bit but im pretty sure that if i shave some off that itll be still very strong and nothing will hit
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 12:07 pm

ONly small thing that might make it look a tiny bit better is to lower the rear end to get it to set level. Looks so mean though! I love those tyres!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:12 pm

Well- set up like that gives it a better approach angle tho to crawl over stuff.....
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:14 pm

that true and less lickely that it roles backwards. I dont no yet il see when i first ride it XD
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:15 pm

that true and less lickely that it roles backwards. I dont no yet il see when i first ride it XD
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:20 pm

hey arild365 sorry to get off topic but i was curious. What year is your mower?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:25 pm

its fine Razz but its a 1992 craftsman lt4000 I/C gold edition.
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 23rd 2010, 9:46 pm

arild365 wrote:
its fine Razz but its a 1992 craftsman lt4000 I/C gold edition.

nice. they must of ran the body style for a few years. mine is a 1989 and looks just like it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2010, 9:22 am

they tend to keep there design for a couple of years to save money

i think
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:26 pm

hey, arild365. soon i'm going to be making a bumper for my mower and was wondering if it should just cover width wise the plastic grill part or extend out alittle to include some of the wheels. what you think?

anybody else have any thoughts about it?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:34 pm

hey man yah id say go over the wheels a bit just because ive hit stuff with out a bumper and when it hits the wheel it feels like it will snap. so yah and make sure you can still open your hood. good luck. are you going to weld it or bolt it?
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:38 pm

arild365 wrote:
hey man yah id say go over the wheels a bit just because ive hit stuff with out a bumper and when it hits the wheel it feels like it will snap. so yah and make sure you can still open your hood. good luck. are you going to weld it or bolt it?

i'm going to bolt it on. even if i had a welder i would probably still bolt it on so i can remove it and tinker with it. Bolting it on should be fine right? as long as i put at least two bolts on each side of the mower frame when i bolt it on.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:40 pm

Oh yah it should work great. how thick of metal are you gunna use?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:43 pm

bTW do you have a youtube accnt? so i can see your mower Razz
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2010, 8:51 pm

arild365 wrote:
Oh yah it should work great. how thick of metal are you gunna use?

The two pieces i'm going to cut up to bolt on the mower to hold the bumper will be 1/16 in. galvanized angle. (its got tons of holes pre drilled in it, for fencing i think) and then for the the bumper a square tube piece. it is thicker metal, not sure what thickness. and it has holes predrilled in it too. and one one side is cut open and the corners rolled over( i guess to slide another piece in or something, another fencing piece of metal) and that piece is coated in this green rubbery crap

and sorry i don't have a youtube account, but i'm going to try and get a build thread started on here soon
Back to top Go down
indianaboy93

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2010, 11:22 pm

what are the dementions of those new rears? any progress on the hubs?
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitimeMay 12th 2010, 11:33 pm

Im picking up the hubs tomorow!!! CANT WAIT!!! and the tires are 22x10x9 and the fronts are 18 inchers so alot o clearence. i just ran into a shit load of money at the skool science fair and most of its going to TORQUE!! and some of it to my new toyota XD i fot first and got 250$
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)   tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tire swap on TORQUE (ford/craftsman)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next