All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Manual Rack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 8:44 am

Anyone ever think about taking a manual rack from say a Geo Metro and cutting it down for use on a tractor?
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 1:49 pm

Not tractor, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a modified LT
This is a Dodge K-car power rack (not powered) attatched to a front axle made of square tubing that uses spindles from a Massey GT

Manual Rack Th_007
Manual Rack Th_012
Manual Rack Th_013
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 1:53 pm

AcreFarm wrote:
Not tractor, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a modified LT
This is a Dodge K-car power rack (not powered) attatched to a front axle made of square tubing that uses spindles from a Massey GT

That's sorta what I'm thinking. I wonder how it performs.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 2:12 pm

It does very well. The only problem I have is the space for a drag link was very limited... too small for auto parts.
I've tried regular GT type ends, and heim joints and they both break after a while.
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2012, 7:57 pm

I have a rack that i bought at a swap meet many years ago. Its real small and very strong, the VW dune buggy guys use them. wish i could remember what brand it was. some day it will make it on my tractor.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 8:32 am

The only real way to see if anything works is to try it - called fabrication. Id go to a junkyard, and buy one - im sure they cant be that much and just experiement with it - that one guy used a rack from a golf kart .

To bypass the power part ( or the pump) - just fill the rack with power steering fluid and cap the holes where the pressure lines go in .

Tractors dont really need alot of tight tolerances , unless its involved with speed, for general trail riding , if the rack ends were cut down and rewelded it shouldnt make a difference.

If someone to really go wild- use hydraulic or electric steering - like on monster trucks or rock buggies - what about a linear actuator? Small hydraulic ram?

Just depends what your budget is.
Back to top Go down
goesman
goesman

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 8:44 am

My tractor originally had hydraulics on it that run off the trans. I have thought a many a times about making hydraulic steering.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2012, 11:42 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
The only real way to see if anything works is to try it - called fabrication. Id go to a junkyard, and buy one - im sure they cant be that much and just experiement with it - that one guy used a rack from a golf kart .

To bypass the power part ( or the pump) - just fill the rack with power steering fluid and cap the holes where the pressure lines go in .

Tractors dont really need alot of tight tolerances , unless its involved with speed, for general trail riding , if the rack ends were cut down and rewelded it shouldnt make a difference.

If someone to really go wild- use hydraulic or electric steering - like on monster trucks or rock buggies - what about a linear actuator? Small hydraulic ram?

Just depends what your budget is.

I agree with you, but there's no point in reinventing the wheel if it's known that it will not work.

Also, if you get a rack from say a 3 cylinder Geo Metro, they are manual without having to do anything special. Maybe I'll start trolling the JY's.
Back to top Go down
cj8

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitimeFebruary 4th 2012, 7:22 am

I used a manual steering rack on my monster mower. With 35" tires you can steer it with one finger. Golf cart parts are way too expensive. Rack was $29.00 at salvage yard. I shortened the tie rod ends as much as I could. The rack ended up about 36" in length. may be too long for a mower.

Manual Rack Th_IMG_1949
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Manual Rack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manual Rack   Manual Rack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Manual Rack
Page 1 of 1