All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dustin138
Dustin138

Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Empty
PostSubject: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 5:49 am

when i go to start my lawn mower i here a grinding noise but it still starts. Its a Kholer Pro 17hp OHV.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 12:18 pm

The first thing I'd check is the starter gear, it's plastic and they do wear out and break or bend teeth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 1:45 pm

is there an easy way to get to that, I wouldnt know.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeJuly 19th 2011, 3:56 pm

I have never owned a kohler so I can't say. Usually you have to remove some of the sheetmetal off the engine to get the plastic gear guard off. You will probably have to do this anyway though, regardless of that the problem is, you'll need to get in there and take a look.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 7:57 pm

check out 'donyboy73' on youtube, he will have a video on how to replace the starter gear, it is most definitely that...
Back to top Go down
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 8:02 pm

it turned out to be the brushes...i am getting a new starter
Back to top Go down
ferg
ferg

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 8:22 pm

Dustin138 wrote:
it turned out to be the brushes...i am getting a new starter
lol yeah new starter is a good idea, A while back i replaced brushes on a motor, it was the most fidderley annoying thing i have ever done!! how old is the engine?? seams weird that the brushes would go...
Back to top Go down
Dustin138
Dustin138

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2011, 8:58 pm

i dont know.. my dad gave the craftsman to me and he had it for a while too....so i dont know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.   Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kholer Pro 17hp OHV starter makes a weird sound when starting.
Page 1 of 1