All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

6.5 clone on a generator won't run.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Empty
PostSubject: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2012, 5:58 pm

Maybe you guys can help me out here because I'm stumped. Simple things are usually what stump me. Anyway, got this Champion 3500W generator with a 6.5 honda clone motor on it. I bout it years ago but never needed it, so a couple years in the box with no gas through it. That big wind storm came through in July and we were without power for 11 days. I got it out them and it ran perfect, about 5 hours per day, for 5 days. It was running fine and I shut it down, disconnecting power to the AC first, to fill the gas tank. When I went to restart it, it wouldn't run. It says to choke when you first start it, even if it's 110 degrees outside. It had just been running for a few hours so I didn't see why it would need choked. Well I tried choke just in case. It would barely run, shake everywhere, puff black smoke, sounds like running rich to me. I slowly unchoke it. For a split second it leans out and smoothes, then dies. I've tried most everything I can think of. Took the carb completely apart and it's spotless, with 20hours on it I'm not surprised. I tried a new plug and fresh gas. It always does the same thing, if the choke is on, it runs terribly and puffs dark smoke. If you take the choke off, it dies. If you try to start without full choke, it does nothing. I have two more thoughts up my sleeve. Could the OHV valves have loosened up that fast and would that cause my problem? Also what about a sheared flywheel key, could it have happened so soon and cause these symptoms? Thanks for any help guys.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2012, 8:06 pm

Could be something with the low oil pressure switch - i herd on horizontal 'clone' motors they tend to go bad pretty quick - id say as long as the oil is checked when gas is added, it shouldnt make a difference. Id try unhooking it and see what happens.

I have one of those 'chinese' generators - believe its the same 3500 watt one - bot it at Aldi's for less then $200 - i took mine out of the box as soon as i got it home, put oil /gas in it and on the second pull it fired right up - i ran it thru some tests to break it in for an hour or so ( hooked up an air compressor, some tools to it ) ran pretty good- then shut the gas off and let it die, then drained all the oil and put fresh oil in ran it again for a while, then drained all the gas and put it in the shed .

About a year later i fired it up again for a lil while and then put it away. Next time i fire it up ill change the oil again.

I figure worse comes to worse ill get a briggs 6HP horizontal motor for it.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2012, 9:35 pm

I have heard people have trouble with the oil level switch as well. It's got plenty of oil and I did try unhooking the switch and it changed nothing.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 9th 2012, 9:59 pm

The behavior you are reporting tells me its a carb problem. I'm betting that a small piece of crud plugged a passage. It runs rich when choked, leans out nice as you open the choke, and then starves entirely after the choke is wide open.

Simple troubleshooting rules sez Carb. or a sudden vaccuum leak. Its definately a lean condition.

Or possible an adjustment screw rattled loose.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 6:07 pm

Got to work on it some this evening. Checked the rockers and they're a type I've never seen before, but were nice and tight. I pulled the recoil to check the key and it was ok. I pulled the carb and drained all the old gas out. Took the carb apart and cleaned it all out and blew compressed air though everything. Put it all back together with fresh gas and it still does the exact same thing. It's also fouling plugs, which we knew would happen with running that rich.

I'm stumped here guys. I've only ever had carb problems with running lean due to a dirty clog somewhere. It's not a wiring problem because it will run fully choked and wiring would not allow spark in any situation. Unfortunately these newer carbs have absolutely no adjustments on them.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 8:26 pm

Got it running and figured out tonight. Turns out it was in the control box. One of the relay-looking things in the box that had wires from the coil(on/off switch) and the oil level sensor. I guess it was partially grounding enough to cause a weak spark but not completely interupt spark. I bypassed it and it runs smooth and on the first pull again. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll tuck this one away as experience for the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6.5 clone on a generator won't run.   6.5 clone on a generator won't run. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6.5 clone on a generator won't run.
Page 1 of 1