All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 15th 2012, 7:24 pm

I was just watching a vid by arild365 on You tube and I noticed a very scary dangerous thing. Shocked Evil or Very Mad

When boosting a battery NEVER put the negative on first. The proper order is Postive on booster battery to postive on dead battery, negative on booster battery to ground point on chassis of dead battery.

ALWAYS!!!!!! Positive first, negative to a ground point on tha chassis. NEVER PUT THE NEGATIVE CABLE ON THE BATTERY POST!!!!!!!! Exclamation Exclamation

DOING IT ANY OTHER WAY IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.!!!!!!!!! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Batteries give off hydrogen gas when they are boosted or charged.

HYDROGEN GAS IS EXPLOSIVE The slightest spark can cause an explosion.

I Know this because I had a brand new truck battery explode in my face about 8 years ago.

It cost me a day in the hospital and a partial loss of my vision. Not to mention acid in the eyes is extremely painful, and nothing short of a full face sheild will protect you. Safety glasses didn't do a damn thing.

EDIT*** I've been thinking about this, and the above info was quoted from long ago learned experience and training. I was an Aircraft tech, A small engines teachers aide, and a Motorcycle mechanic. This was the info that was taught in the old days.

And I would still use it for boosting from a truck or standard battery.

HOWEVER, it is possible that these new fangled boosting units have circuitry in them that requires a different procedure. In which case Arild may be comepletely correct

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
lane85
lane85

PostSubject: ive been doing it wrong for a long tome D:   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 12:24 pm

so i put positive on firts and then negitave on the chasie or fender om my tractor not the battery post?
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 1:07 pm

lane85 wrote:
so i put positive on firts and then negitave on the chasie or fender om my tractor not the battery post?

For Battery to battery boosting it is positive to positive first then negative on booster battery to a ground bolt on the chassis of the vehicle being boosted. The idea is to have any potential spark as far away from the battery as possible.

If using a booster pack, follow the directions on the booster, some types may require the negative connection first.

Whatever you do, Keep your face away when making connections. Safety goggles are a must.

Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! BatteryJumpStart
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2012, 3:11 pm

Ive always put positive on Positive and negative on negative and nothing never happened to the batteries or me.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 29th 2012, 4:14 pm

crafsmankiller wrote:
Ive always put positive on Positive and negative on negative and nothing never happened to the batteries or me.

That's great,

you're a very lucky boy you've been doing this for what a couple of years.

I've been doing this stuff for over 34 yrs, on Farm equipment, cars, trucks, aircraft, small engines, motorcycles, boats, and power toys.

It happened to me, a brand new battery exploded in my face. I spent a day in the hospital flushing my eyes, to limited success. Now I'm partially blind.

All it takes is a little spark.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2012, 8:59 am

yeah ive basiccly been messin with engines and stuff since i was big enough to hold a wrench. the only time i remember putting the neg, on ground is to jump th emotor off on the starter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!   Battery Safety   VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery Safety VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1