All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?

Go down 
+4
CornishMorgan
crafsmankiller
TheRainbowBoxer
Thunderdivine
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Empty
PostSubject: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 2:49 pm

Since at least on my JD the clutch is also the brake, so are we always supposed to be stationary???? And are the gears more like a what you are pulling, tho I notice I almost do wheelies with my JD in 3rd.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 2:52 pm

We separate the clutch and brake linkage so we can run separate pedals.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 2:54 pm

Ah yea that's right, I've seen that. Won't do that to my JD, but good to know. Thanks
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 3:32 pm

what i wonder. are transaxles syncro mesh, constant engagement, or are they locking.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 3:40 pm

Stretch might understand that, but it just sailed right over my head LOL

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 5:04 pm

crafsmankiller wrote:
what i wonder. are transaxles syncro mesh, constant engagement, or are they locking.

Yup, Tractor transaxle gearboxes are syncromesh boxes. I have never see a crash box on a lawn tractor. I'm sure back in the 40's and 50's they had crash gearboxes, same as cars and trucks but nowadays almost all proper manual gearboxes are syncromesh. Lawn tractor boxes have 2 or 4 sliding metal bars with stubs on them that lock the gear to the axle so the torque goes though that gear. Same principle as a manual gearbox in a car, apart from they use a ring with stubs instead of a bar with stubs.

The first pic is the shifting bars from a lawn tractor gearbox.
The second is a dog ring from a car gearbox. Same basic principle.

A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? T2eC16dHJG8E9nyfpnWrBQHFCysww60_3_zps6b7d0626
A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Dog_ring

Here is the gearbox from my tractor. As you can see, its a syncromesh box.
A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? DSC002081

A crash box basically has two shafts with the gears fixed to the shafts. Changing gear requires you to double clutch, first when you go out of a gear and again when you engage another. One of the shafts slides allowing you to change gear. When in first gear, only those two cogs will be engaged. 2, 3 will be set next to each other but not engaged.

This pic should explain it better than I can over the interweb.
A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Three-speed_crash_gearbox_schematic_Autocar_Handbook_13th_ed_1935_zpsfeb5a9ab

Ill try and make a video explaining the principle of the two types on the weekend if you want.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 5:26 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
Ah yea that's right, I've seen that. Won't do that to my JD, but good to know. Thanks

Dont suppose your Deere has a hill stop by any chance? If it does you could just use that pedal as a brake and remove the clutch brake linkage.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 5:38 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:

Dont suppose your Deere has a hill stop by any chance? If it does you could just use that pedal as a brake and remove the clutch brake linkage.

Handbrake? Yeah it does.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 5:47 pm

Thunderdivine wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
Thunderdivine wrote:

Handbrake? Yeah it does.

Yea, that. I know with my GT, it has a seperate hill stop that links up to the caliper along with the connecting rod for the clutch. When I get to rebuilding, I plan on just not putting the connecting rod in. You could probably do the same with yours, depending how it is set up.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 5:53 pm

Cool thanks will check it out.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 6:40 pm

My little ford has a peerless 600 and the big one has a peerless 2300.

Both tractors say on the decal to stop before shifting gears.

Neither are synchro

Last edited by Chopperhed on March 4th 2013, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2013, 6:46 pm

CornishMorgan wrote:
crafsmankiller wrote:

Yup, Tractor transaxle gearboxes are syncromesh boxes. I have never see a crash box on a lawn tractor. I'm sure back in the 40's and 50's they had crash gearboxes, same as cars and trucks but nowadays almost all proper manual gearboxes are syncromesh. Lawn tractor boxes have 2 or 4 sliding metal bars with stubs on them that lock the gear to the axle so the torque goes though that gear. Same principle as a manual gearbox in a car, apart from they use a ring with stubs instead of a bar with stubs.

A crash box basically has two shafts with the gears fixed to the shafts. Changing gear requires you to double clutch, first when you go out of a gear and again when you engage another. One of the shafts slides allowing you to change gear. When in first gear, only those two cogs will be engaged. 2, 3 will be set next to each other but not engaged.

[

Ill try and make a video explaining the principle of the two types on the weekend if you want.

A correct explanation is here.

http://www.albinsgear.com.au/SyncroVsDog.php
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 8:01 am

my peerles 700 is crash. i can shove it in gear moving, but its hard as hell. and if im pointed up or down a hill stopped, i cant get it out of gear.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 8:11 am

Chopperhed wrote:
CornishMorgan wrote:
crafsmankiller wrote:

[

If I read that and the wiki page correctly then what your saying is the difference between syncro and dog it the way the gear get locked to the shaft, eg syncro has a cone collar that allowing slippage, dog designs have a notched ring to prevent slippage between the gear and output shaft when shifting.

When say your 600 and 2300 aren't syncro boxes. Could you expand on that? are the gears constantly engaged? looking on the service manual for the 600, it looks like the whole shift assembly with the gears and shaft slide from side to side, is that true?
Might be worth making a new topic for it.

Ignore me if i got my last post completely wrong, but I'm still learning and until I take every type of gearbox that even been made apart, Ill never know Razz
I was just trying to explain the basic principle between a crash box and a constantly engaged box.

crafsmankiller wrote:
my peerles 700 is crash. i can shove it in gear moving, but its hard as hell. and if im pointed up or down a hill stopped, i cant get it out of gear.

Try double clutching. When you shift, press the clutch fully to take it out of gear and release the clutch, then press the clutch again fully to engage another gear. It will be tricky on a tractor but should be just about possible.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 8:45 am

i havent pulley swapped this mower yet. so i dont have time to clutch at all. i usually just shove it in different gears. i know its bad for it but its the only way to keep moving, specially when im on a hill. cause it wont go out of gear on a hill.

edit: it has the clutch and brake on the same pedal, id have to lose brakes to actually use the clutch, plus the belts drags a little bit. so even when it is clutched and the brakes on, i can put it in gear and it'll 'jerk' when the gear catches
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 5th 2013, 8:02 pm

CornishMorgan wrote:
Chopperhed wrote:
CornishMorgan wrote:
crafsmankiller wrote:

[

If I read that and the wiki page correctly then what your saying is the difference between syncro and dog it the way the gear get locked to the shaft, eg syncro has a cone collar that allowing slippage, dog designs have a notched ring to prevent slippage between the gear and output shaft when shifting.

When say your 600 and 2300 aren't syncro boxes. Could you expand on that? are the gears constantly engaged? looking on the service manual for the 600, it looks like the whole shift assembly with the gears and shaft slide from side to side, is that true?
Might be worth making a new topic for it.

Ignore me if i got my last post completely wrong, but I'm still learning and until I take every type of gearbox that even been made apart, Ill never know Razz
I was just trying to explain the basic principle between a crash box and a constantly engaged box.

crafsmankiller wrote:

Try double clutching. When you shift, press the clutch fully to take it out of gear and release the clutch, then press the clutch again fully to engage another gear. It will be tricky on a tractor but should be just about possible.

My understanding is that syncrmesh system uses cone clutches to spins up the next gear between shifts.

Garden tractors use what I think is called a constant mesh system, where all the gears are spinning, and gears are selcted by moving dogs back and forth on the shaft.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 3:24 pm

So I got the principle correct but not the terminology. Well.....I stand corrected.
I've even learned something in the mean time...YAY!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 3:37 pm

Aren't they called forks?
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 3:58 pm

Dogs, forks, same thing, its the things Morgan posted.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 5:52 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Dogs, forks, same thing, its the things Morgan posted.

Two seperate different parts
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 6:54 pm

Technically the only types of transmissions/transaxles that can be shifted w/o stopping are the MTD variable type ( 'transmission' is actually a variable pulley- no gears in it- the transaxle is a 'single' speed setup)- and the other is a 'shift on the go' or 'shift on the fly' transmission- usually in 90's murrays.

The shift on the go setup is pretty interesting - it actually uses a basic peerless transmission under it, the neat thing is when you pull the shift lever in tward you to shift up higher, that actually activates the clutch slightly with linkages.

Its clutch free shifting up thru the gears, but you do need to clutch while downshifting tho.

I ran that setup on my mod murray, it worked awsome- just let off the gas for a second, shifted, then hit the gas again.

Typically tho for any other type of tractor ( unless it states in owners manual) - you need to stop and shift, or risk destroying the trans.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 6th 2013, 7:07 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Technically the only types of transmissions/transaxles that can be shifted w/o stopping are the MTD variable type ( 'transmission' is actually a variable pulley- no gears in it- the transaxle is a 'single' speed setup)- and the other is a 'shift on the go' or 'shift on the fly' transmission- usually in 90's murrays.

The shift on the go setup is pretty interesting - it actually uses a basic peerless transmission under it, the neat thing is when you pull the shift lever in tward you to shift up higher, that actually activates the clutch slightly with linkages.

Its clutch free shifting up thru the gears, but you do need to clutch while downshifting tho.

I ran that setup on my mod murray, it worked awsome- just let off the gas for a second, shifted, then hit the gas again.

Typically tho for any other type of tractor ( unless it states in owners manual) - you need to stop and shift, or risk destroying the trans.

Great info thanks
Back to top Go down
TennesseeCowboy
TennesseeCowboy

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2013, 10:45 pm

You can shift my Dynamark while moving by pressing the clutch It even says so on the sticker on the "dash" of the lawnmower. I assume this means for you to do it while riding because the lawnmower would not be completley stopped with the brake halfway down.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 13th 2013, 10:54 pm

I have been "hotshifting" the Craftsman Rally just fine. It has a regular Foote gearbox.

Kind of have to anyways if I gear in over 3rd otherwise itll lurch on me or stall the motor.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitimeMarch 24th 2013, 9:09 am

So I read in the Peerless manual, goes for all Peerless I guess, from N - F you will have to use the clutch and from N - R and R - F - N you should use clutch, but in between gears you don't have to use any clutch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?   A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A noob question, but how do you actually shift gears on a mower?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next