All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New craftsman.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 12:09 am

So I got a craftsman lawnmower with a 6-speed rear end and an intek 17hp briggs motor. I ended up taking it off and putting in a 19.5hp briggs twin. Off of the lawnmower there is a 6 prong plug. The red wire is spliced with the blue then the other end of the red goes to another prong. Then two of the prongs does not have any wires on it at all. Now off of the 19.5 BnS motor there is a four prong plug. I figured that black and orange I would splice together. The blue from the lawnmower I would splice to the red one on the motor because there is a red wire spliced to the blue than the other end of the red goes to another prong.. Any Ideas?

New craftsman. 0817102347
19.5 BRIGGS MOTOR ABOVE 4 PRONG
New craftsman. 0817102345a
OFF OF THE LAWNMOWER 6 PRONG.
New craftsman. 0817102347a
The lawnmower..
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 12:25 am

Oh another question.. Where should I relocate the gas tank? The stock one sits level with the motor.. right behind it..
Back to top Go down

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 12:34 am

Broc wrote:
So I got a craftsman lawnmower with a 6-speed rear end and an intek 17hp briggs motor. I ended up taking it off and putting in a 19.5hp briggs twin. Off of the lawnmower there is a 6 prong plug. The red wire is spliced with the blue then the other end of the red goes to another prong. Then two of the prongs does not have any wires on it at all. Now off of the 19.5 BnS motor there is a four prong plug. I figured that black and orange I would splice together. The blue from the lawnmower I would splice to the red one on the motor because there is a red wire spliced to the blue than the other end of the red goes to another prong.. Any Ideas?

New craftsman. 0817102347
19.5 BRIGGS MOTOR ABOVE 4 PRONG
New craftsman. 0817102345a
OFF OF THE LAWNMOWER 6 PRONG.
New craftsman. 0817102347a
The lawnmower..
So the green mower is the fixer uper rite?
I have one just like it with the same engine, and i have the same rear tires too. lol Razz
Yours looks like it's manual trans though mine is hydro. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 12:39 am

I have a few fixer uppers haha.. I like manual not hydro. To bad there are not a lot if any 19.5 craftsmans that are manual. My parrents have the hydro. I dont like it. Oh and the tires are off of a john deere haha
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 5:19 am

What to do it try and get a gas tank from a tractor that came with a twin. THe ones that go in the back under the seat. OTherwise you could just try and get a tank to fit under there yourself. The twins have fuel pumps so it doesnt need to be above the motor (:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 9:55 am

it fits very nicely behind the motor so would that hurt my motor if I mounted it there?
Back to top Go down

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 12:17 pm

Broc wrote:
I have a few fixer uppers haha.. I like manual not hydro. To bad there are not a lot if any 19.5 craftsmans that are manual. My parrents have the hydro. I dont like it. Oh and the tires are off of a john deere haha

Yeah i don't like hydro much either thats why i had a sad face, i bought my tires at tractor supply.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2010, 6:13 pm

You can mount a smaller tank under the dash- the battery will need relocating tho.

Id start over and rewire the tractor w/o safteys - i posted a couple stock wiring diagrams ( murray) but are universal under the " engine tech" thread in the main menu.

I wire most mine w/o the saftey harness - ( modifieds i use a basic wiring to just start/charge the battery).
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 19th 2010, 1:42 am

On this craftsman the origional gastank was right behind the motor in front of the dash. I was unsure if I should do that because of the 19.5hp briggs fuel pump but I just noticed the last motor had a external fuel pump so I am not to worried. The battery will be located under the seat. I replaced the motor and put something bigger in it. As for the wires it looks like I am just going to have to splice them together because it is all the same looking on the last motor..
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2010, 7:46 pm

well i don't think i would put the black wire with anything thats on the plug,(if its the wire harness comming from the motor) cause the black wire is the kill wire for the ignition, the red i belive is the charging system, but idk let me get some pics and look at my mower to refresh my mind and i can probably help you alittle better.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 20th 2010, 8:10 pm

ok the black wire is definitely the ground or kill wire for the motor.
The Red wire from the engine (the 4 prong plug, which only has 3 prongs in the plug) is the charging side of the alternator for the battery. Now the red wire produces about i think 12-14 volts DC depending on rpm and the batterys charge state.
The orange wire, from the same location as the red wire(from the alternator) is another voltage supplying wire, but it produces 12-14 volts AC which is used for running the lights on your mower.
So here is what i would do.
Run the red wire to a wire on the ignition that is hot( or on) when the ignition is keyed on(or switched on)
so basically the red wire goes directly to the battery but you would have a switch to turn the power on and off.
The black wire should go with the black wire on the ignition if you have the 5 prong ignition which kills the motor.
The orange wire i would run to a separate swith other than the ignition(if you already have on) to have the lights on their own circuit, or just completely forget about the ac wire and run the lights off the battery(better if your at night and the motor dies.
here is some pic's i took
here is the 4 prong plug
[img]New craftsman. Dscf0115[/img]
another view
[img]New craftsman. Dscf0116[/img]
and here is the two wires (red and orange) running underneath the flywheel where the alternator is.
[img]New craftsman. Dscf0117[/img]
and here is the black wire that i believe runs to the kill prong on the magneto
[img]New craftsman. Dscf0118[/img]

ok so those are the pics of my engine, the wires should be exactly the same as yours on the engine. but quick recap
Red=12-14 Volts DC (charging)
Orange=12-14 Volts AC (lights)
Black=0 volts ground for the magneto to kill the engine

also the thicker wire you see in the pic with the wires running into the engine has a diode which allows the dc side of the alternator to charge, if your missing that diode at all it won't do a thing, but you should be able to see it, it has a shrink rap around it and its usually right next to the plug, but if you don't see it at all(which probably won't happen) but if it does seem to be missing or can't see just get a volt meter and see if its producing and dc voltage, if it was missing it you would get funky readings from the voltmeter or nothing. but you shouldn't have this problem.

Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2010, 3:00 am

The lawnmower has a seperate connector for the lights. There is a connector for the motor then the lights both seperate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New craftsman. Empty
PostSubject: Re: New craftsman.   New craftsman. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New craftsman.
Page 1 of 1