All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

04' briggs ELS charging issues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

04' briggs ELS charging issues Empty
PostSubject: 04' briggs ELS charging issues   04' briggs ELS charging issues Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2013, 2:34 pm

ive got a huskee lawn tractor, my grass cutter. it is powered by an 18 horse brigs ELS single cylinder. i got it for free back in the spring. it ran with a jump start, and the muffler had fallen off. i fixed the muffler, and just kept jumping it with my other mower, a toro Proline walkbehind. this was getting old, so i broke down and bought a battery. not a fancy high dollar interstate or diehard or anything, just a plain old napa lawn & garden battery. i was mowing with it a few weeks back, and i noticed the battery light on the dash was flashing, and the voltave was showing in the info center.. 20+ volts!!! so i shut it down, let it set for a few hours, went back and it fired right up, finshed mowing, and it was still overcharging to about 18 volts! i hadent touched it since then up until about a week ago, to haul some brush around in a dump cart. usually i use my mudder (bolens G-10) to tow with, but i need to get a belt for that. anyway, it cranked over like nobodys buisness. i ran it for over an hour at about 3/4 throttle, and some time at full (i got stuck, perhaps on purpose Twisted Evil ) i noticed it was staying about 13-14 volts. so i dont know what happened. now, yesterday, i went to mow with it again, and the battery was stone cold dead.. not an ounce of crank. so i jumped it, and it was fine. charges up to about 13.5 volts, but drops off to 5 volts when the mower shuts down. i jumped it again, and put a 12 volt light on it (a small headlight) and the voltage drops off and the engine dies. i dont know what happened, but something is frigged over. if yall have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.. thanks -will
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 04' briggs ELS charging issues   04' briggs ELS charging issues Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2013, 2:40 pm

I know we talked about the overcharging before, and discussed some ideas. I don't remember the outcome. Now, however, it would appear that the constant and severe overcharge boiled the battery, and now it's fried. I believe it's time for a new battery, but it is going to start trying to overcharge again?
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 04' briggs ELS charging issues   04' briggs ELS charging issues Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2013, 2:48 pm

i guess i'll get one from napa again, theyre pretty cheap, so its not a big deal if it cooks again. i might wire up an ammeter and a tie in a good volt meter somewhere so i can tell whats going on and keep an eye on things. if it keeps doing it, i think it might be time to pull the flywheel and inspect the magnets and what not.. i remember the proline did it once, (20 horse kohler command twin) and it broke a magnet. these ones might just be rusty or something from sitting. idk, im not strong with electrical
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 04' briggs ELS charging issues   04' briggs ELS charging issues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

04' briggs ELS charging issues
Page 1 of 1