All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine

Go down 
+9
The1963Chevy
willis923
Ariens YT11
Angchor
camomanusa
richie thomas
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
craftsmancole
jonjunk
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jonjunk

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2014, 12:07 am

Ya I will check it out again because I have to move my car Doon and it's in there
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2014, 12:17 am

I checked it over and found no model number, on my 930 it has a stamped plate around the seam were the two halves meet, this one only had two numbers cast in the top half, 6292-p1(near the diff) and 47167 (by the shifter).

Couldn't snap a picture because the phone was too low battery to use the flash.

Here's a rig I snapped a picture of I don't think it was for sale.
Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0229
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 26 Apr 2014, 3:46 pm

im pretty sure mst 205's have 3/4 inch axles and that "thing" you saw at the auction looks really funky....like one of those tracked wheelbarrow things mixed with an old rear engine rider
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2014, 3:20 am

Thought of some new ideas for the craftsman, I want to get rid of those fenders then do homemade fenders and atv style nerf bars.

Also seriously considering making skis for the front out of snowmobile skis so I can take this beast ice fishing since my 3wheeler isn't made for utility type stuff and is rather not hack n' weld on that, besides I like the idea of pulling the portable fishouse not by hand.

For this I would need my new Carlisle Stryker tires or chains on my mower, locked trans, skis up front or wide tall tires, big battery (just cuz), and racks. I have access to (approx 500)soda pop crates that 20oz pop bottles get delivered to stores in. They would make perfect racks.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2014, 8:31 pm

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0251
Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0252
Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0253

My craftsman and my homemade trailer I built.

Third pic is the switch panel, I made I just cut out the random holes and slots that were there to make life easy, need a new choke cable tho cuz this one binds even tho it's new.
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 May 2014, 9:46 pm

You should do a lil grinding on that torchin job to make it look a lil better
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2014, 12:58 am

I'll worry about that after it's mechanically ready, I need brakes and belt keepers for now and to move the trans back as far as I can with a new belt to fit that.

It's pretty dangerous having 5-4" pulleys my friend already flipped it back.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 May 2014, 9:49 pm

Picked up a Murray 5 speed with a kohler command 14hp labeled as a crafstmsn brand engine, pretty rough shape also a mtd yard bug, a go kart frame and 2 push mowers all free along side of the road
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2014, 7:49 pm

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0259Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0258Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0257Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0256_1

Got the bumper made and the hood pinned down and the transmission in and mounted, shifter done and a new idler pulley.

Last pic is me and my two buds three wheelers stuck.
Back to top Go down
1997 Murray
Veteran Member
1997 Murray
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2014 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2015 Build-Off Finalist
2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2014, 7:54 pm

nice, i wish i could get things free like that
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 06 May 2014, 7:57 pm

Ya it's not often you find the deals but so satisfying, I should snap a pic of my john Deere stx38 for you guys too hooked to my other trailer.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 07 May 2014, 9:22 pm

Found out that my mst trans in the craftsman is onlu a 2 speed I thought it was just not shifting but now I'm swapping the 5 spd Foote trans from the free murry into the craftsman for now maybe I'll give the 2spd to my buddy for his mtd so he has two forward gears.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 08 May 2014, 9:07 am

Got the 5 speed Foote locked, greased sealed and installed, also made belt keepers, made a brake pedal, and made another trans mount.

Also got the front tires swapped to larger ones, and I noticed the mst had a lot longer axles than this Foote I wonder if there interchangeable.

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0260Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0262Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0261
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2014, 5:07 am

Cleaned up the wiring today, added a plug in for the hood headlights, added a few belt keepers, tested the locked trans, and fixed the amp meter.

Next thing I want to do is make wheel hubs but I don't have a ser of rims to spare and I don't want to cut up my current ones.

One other thing I could do is find some 3/4" keyed tubes and weld them into the center of my 12" rims from a craftsman gt that had 1" axles that are stuck in the rim for good, either option would work cuz I have a set of 12" atv tires, and if I made hubs I could just use my three wheeler tires.
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2014, 2:03 pm

jonjunk wrote:
One other thing I could do is find some 3/4" keyed tubes and weld them
The tubes don't have to be keyed.

You could just drill a series of holes, and tap them for small bolts. Slip the tube on the axle, then screw bolts in, so they go down into the keyway.

Since you are talking about welding anyway, don't just do tapped holes. Weld nuts to the outside of the tube, over the holes. Then run the tap through, so that the tapped holes in the tube become an extension of the nuts. Much stronger than just tapped holes in the wall of the tube.

If you use ordinary bolts into the keyway, they should shear about as fast as a key would.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 09 May 2014, 3:44 pm

That's a good idea I already have some tubing that's 3/4 inch in the middle but it's pretty thin, I could reinforce it with some triangular "gussets" (as I heard in a vid talking about transaxles) instead of trusting the one weld.

I would have to figure out a way to clean out the inside of that tubing it's been outside a few years
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2014, 8:08 pm

Got to ride today, went through the mud great, pushed over a bunch of trees with my bumper and a lot of brush, banged up the skidplate for the exhaust, and had a branch push the pin out of my tie rod, all good now here's a pic of the mud pit.

Oh and broke the weld on my locker, do you guys suggest welding the spider gears to each other too? The trans still worked so I don't think damage was done.

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Imagejpeg_0
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2014, 9:49 pm

You got lucky on the axle. Most of the times it breaks and a piece of weld jams in the gears and it blows apart. anywho, maybe if you can sourse a stronger welder it would work, or do something like redneckcomputergeek's locker block
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2014, 9:58 pm

redlinemotorsportts wrote:
You got lucky on the axle. Most of the times it breaks and a piece of weld jams in the gears and it blows apart. anywho, maybe if you can sourse a stronger welder it would work, or do something like redneckcomputergeek's locker block
I like his zinc locker more better er.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2014, 10:03 pm

The welder I have is plenty powerful its a Lincoln 225 amp welder I think I just used too small of rod but the correct heat.
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 11 May 2014, 10:08 pm

yah you did get lucky with the weld breaking, my welds "slipped" when i welded to the pin... i ended up going with the fozzy locker, which is favored by some, but not everyone. so far my mst206 is holding up the fozzy *KNOCK ON WOOD*
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 13 May 2014, 11:37 pm

Got the yard bug running, I believe it has a bad solenoid because we have to jump that to start .

The craftsman got a bad ground while I was riding in the woods today so I had to jump it after I shut it down, had to do a lot of head scratching to figure out why it wouldn't turn over. Finally jumped the neg post to the fender pan and bam!

Enjoy the pic of a yard bug in the mud.

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0268
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 May 2014, 11:55 pm

I'm thinking about swapping the 14hp kohler command with my current 12.5 kohler command in my john Deere, should be an easy swap but when I get the 12.5 out any suggestions on drilling out the sheared motor mounts it currently has 1 bolt holding it on has had zero at times, two are sheared and two were vibrated out, replaced the two at one time and retapped but wasn't the correct tap it was standard when I should of used a 12mm, I'll do it again but maybe drill a hole so I can put a wire thru to stop it from spinning, still might shear off or wear thru like the stx38s are known for
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 May 2014, 7:11 pm

Got the stack made and hood dented to fit.

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0274Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 IMAG0275
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 May 2014, 7:25 pm

cool stack!
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 19 May 2014, 9:04 pm

Didn't have room for a brace but the bottom pipe rests on the frame so im not worried yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next