All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Empty
PostSubject: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2011, 8:48 pm

I just picked up an agway and I can not get the rim off of the axle shaft. I tried PB but nothing. the rim is held on with a bolt at the end of the axle. I tried heating it up and thumping it with a sledge hammer. Anyone have any ideas??
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2011, 10:09 pm

when i replaced the tube on my tractor the rim wouldn't come off so finally we just replaced it on the axle, i think why my tire wouldn't come off the axle was it might have been rusted to the axle, that might be the case with yours but idk
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2011, 10:46 pm

Yes it is pretty rusty. One of those good old agways.. The tire has some cracks in the sidewall. I never tried to toss a tube in with the rim still on the axle. Is it hard?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2011, 2:59 pm

Sounds like an MTD - I managed to get my wheels off the mod MTD - with alot of PB blaster, a steering wheel type puller and a large hammer - it was easiest to pull the tires with the transaxle out.

The MTD tires are easy as hell to pull off the rims because of the tall flexable sidewalls.
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitimeApril 13th 2011, 7:18 pm

CraftsMAN wrote:
Yes it is pretty rusty. One of those good old agways.. The tire has some cracks in the sidewall. I never tried to toss a tube in with the rim still on the axle. Is it hard?

probably the hardest part changing the tube with the rim on the axle still is getting the rubber tread back on all the way, if i remember right getting it off wasn't as hard as getting it back on. also its probably easier when you have another person helping you, cause you have to have a couple of tools to help plea the tread etc. but i think one person could change it them self just would probably take longer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.   How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to get rims and hubs off stuck axles.
Page 1 of 1