All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I need to extend my rear axles

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

I need to extend my rear axles Empty
PostSubject: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 12:55 am

well the way I'm building my tractor I am putting 5 bolt hubs and wider tires on the back but I need it to be wider than just putting 5 bolt hubs on it and wider tires cuz I'm doing that and I still need it wider so i need to extend my rear axles somehow any ideas?? I have a 5 speed peerless tranny if that helps give you ideas idk. please help!! thank you
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 11:45 am

Well you could build some offset hubs, or you could do like me and swap out the short rear axle for a long one from a parts transmission, and then offset the whole thing in the frame to center the wheels. Only down side is that stock mower axles tend to snap under heavy abuse (like I did lol)
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 11:55 am

Ford Boi wrote:
Well you could build some offset hubs, or you could do like me and swap out the short rear axle for a long one from a parts transmission, and then offset the whole thing in the frame to center the wheels. Only down side is that stock mower axles tend to snap under heavy abuse (like I did lol)
yeah I thought about doing the last one you said and then bracing a spacer to the frame so it could still spin on the axle but would still hold it up and keep it supported so it didn't snap off
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 12:49 pm

I got about 7 months out of mine before it broke.... This time I am making a brace for it. Because otherwise it works very good. Kinda looks funny with the transmission off to one side but then again a mower with huge tires on it kind looks funny anyway lol
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 1:23 pm

Ford Boi wrote:
I got about 7 months out of mine before it broke.... This time I am making a brace for it. Because otherwise it works very good. Kinda looks funny with the transmission off to one side but then again a mower with huge tires on it kind looks funny anyway lol
how much more width did you gain? i need to get to about 45 inches with mine
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 5:56 pm

I'm not sure exactly....Do you need 45" from axle tip to tip? I can measure mine when I run back in the shed.
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 22nd 2011, 6:51 pm

Ford Boi wrote:
I'm not sure exactly....Do you need 45" from axle tip to tip? I can measure mine when I run back in the shed.
I just need 45 inches from outsides of the tires
Back to top Go down
fetters18
fetters18

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2011, 3:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2011, 8:04 pm

I measured mine and I think it was 45" outside of tires. I forget exactly now. 32" from axle end to end. I just have ATV rims with mower hubs welded to plates inside, crude but works lol....
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2011, 4:42 pm

Possibility is to get some 8" round steel pipe ( size of the rims mounted to the axle) - weld that to the end of the tractor rims, then weld the outer wheels back on, to reinforce the axle shafts for extended weight further out, use a piece of black pipe over the axle ( slides over and axle can still turn) with a bracket to the frame solid mounted - id add a zerk fitting to the pipe so can be greased from time to time.

Would be easier then expensive adapters and messing with the trans/axles.
Back to top Go down
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2011, 12:35 am

what do you guys think of this idea here???
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2011, 12:41 am

just remember tho. his rear end is a solid sears suberban (i believe) rear end. Those newer craftsmans arnt built as solid and his tractor has 1" axles as yours has 3//4' I bet if you put some sort of support you might be able to do it. good luck! cant wait to see what you come up with!

Arild
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
craftsman30mph
craftsman30mph

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2011, 12:06 pm

arild365 wrote:
just remember tho. his rear end is a solid sears suberban (i believe) rear end. Those newer craftsmans arnt built as solid and his tractor has 1" axles as yours has 3//4' I bet if you put some sort of support you might be able to do it. good luck! cant wait to see what you come up with!

Arild
yeah I plan on making some type of support to the frame if I do this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need to extend my rear axles   I need to extend my rear axles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need to extend my rear axles
Page 1 of 1