All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!

Go down 
+3
Doug
W1ldyOvvnZ
bautwell
7 posters
AuthorMessage
bautwell
bautwell

NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Empty
PostSubject: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 4:40 am

Hey guys i have a late 80s or early 90s murray 12hp 38in cut that my grandfather bought new and recently got this puppy haha the deck is removed from it so step one is down and i have a gas pedal installed already. what are some other mods that i could do to it?? help me out with ideas PLEASE!!!!! THANKS!!
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 9:39 am

- Add some knobby tires on the back and swap the back tires to the front so you have better ground clearance and would get some more speed out of the lawn tractor
- Also try a Pulley swap, if you are going to do a 1:1 Ratio try to get a larger pulley, you will prevent the amount of belt slippage, there is more for the belt to grab if you have a 5" pulley rather then a 2".
- Locking the Transaxle, There are a few ways on the Forum on how to do it, https://www.atltf.com/t845-fozzy-locker-or-welded-spiders?highlight=fozzy+locker
Maine Mud Mower also has a setup for how he locked his transaxle, his youtube channel is redneckcomputergeak, I've never seen anyone lock there transaxle by actually putting a straight axle through the whole transaxle and weld the spider gears onto the axle(that would of been my first thought)

That should get you through the basic setup and you can do the rest, Fearless front on Youtube made a belly pan for his tractor to prevent snow, mud and water from getting up and slipping the belts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 3:29 pm

thanks alot.. yeah fearless and me messaged each other this morning and he was giving a couple ideas about what to do... i do have a question tho? Where would you want to bolt through the front end for stability???
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 5:08 pm

you mean to lock the front axle so theres no suspension? if you were to lift the front end of your lawn tractor up in the air and move the front tires, that block(i call it the axle but its not the proper name) that pivots on one big bolt would be where you would want to put a bolt it in, make sure the block i am talking about is parallel to the frame and drill through everything then put a bolt in, maybe do it for both sides(so there are three bolts total).

im not sure what your talking about, hopefully thats what you mean:P ive never welded it up or locked it up on my lawn tractors other then my racing one but that was because i also made that into a lowering block and didnt want the frame to rub against the uneven ground.
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2013, 5:17 pm

i just seen some forum about stablilizing the front end and didnt know what in the world they was meaning and i posted on the forum but never got a reply back... this is my first lt to build and yeah i dont know what all can be done lol
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2013, 8:35 pm

i know if you look around enough you will find out alot, but without a welder the most you can do is tires, a pulley swap and a belly pan. with a welder you have alot more mods you can make.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2013, 9:08 pm

I locked my front axle on my rally with a 5/16" bolt. To level it I just took the front tires off and set the spindles on jack stands and it was close enough.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2013, 9:41 pm

i learned most of my stuff from fearlessfront just watch all of his vids even all the racin mower ones they are very educational lol
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 12:16 am

would anyone of you know what kinda transaxle im running in my murray all i could tell you is its 5spd and know some people put dope and stuff in them to help them out and stuff... clueless???
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 12:42 am

Should take a look at the top casing, itll have the brand stamped into it somewhere. Usually above where the brake caliper is, on the smooth spot on the top right.

Im willing to bet its a Peerless.

There also might be a sticker on the back.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 12:49 am

Peerless good? I hear about them all the time...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 1:07 am

Definitely one of the better ones. If yours is a Murray it might be an MST-205, which is what Fearlessfront and I use. Really durable.

Footes and Spicers seem to wear out a bit faster. I have a 6spd Foote that was in the Craftsman. Worked great but the axle seals were worn out, but thats just an age thing.

Your ATLTF Staff:

Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 1:17 am

yeah, everything seems to be in good shape on my murray just basic wear... Just wanted some mods that actually are worth doing and not to hust look cool lol
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 6:25 am

lock the trnsaxle and make bumpers
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 6:36 am

Yeah I atleast want a front bumper, its just hard to do any welding since not having a shop yet, im working on this stuff in a small shed and mostly in my yard... what is yalls ideas on a front bumper...? i seen how fearless done his and its cool but im considering angle iron and box steel
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 9:18 am

The group of guys I run with pretty much all use the same bumper design. Made from 2" and 3" galvanized conduit, with a rollover hoop. Check the pics in my build (link in my sig).

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 10:24 am

bautwell wrote:
Yeah I atleast want a front bumper, its just hard to do any welding since not having a shop yet, im working on this stuff in a small shed and mostly in my yard... what is yalls ideas on a front bumper...? i seen how fearless done his and its cool but im considering angle iron and box steel
I work in a small shed myself.
For a front bumber i would take a set of bike handel bars and filp them upside down and weld them where you want them they work good for a front bumber.
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 3:56 pm

and obviosly make sure your welds are good
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 4:18 pm

yeah i like the look of fearless's bumper on his mud mower with the handle bars on it... i weld most of my stuff at my fire dept so i can be indoors so i may have to take the murray up there tonight and work on a bumper
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 4:47 pm

Ok sounds good.
Take pic when you build the bumber.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 4:51 pm

bautwell wrote:
yeah i like the look of fearless's bumper on his mud mower with the handle bars on it... i weld most of my stuff at my fire dept so i can be indoors so i may have to take the murray up there tonight and work on a bumper

Remember safety first! - better keep those hoses ready elephant
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 4:53 pm

will do... does anyone know how to upload a picture from the mobile version of this???
Back to top Go down
mudmonkey06
mudmonkey06

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 5:16 pm

look through the forum topics and see if there is on if not you can post your question
Back to top Go down
bautwell
bautwell

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitimeApril 2nd 2013, 7:32 pm

I looked a little but will probably look through it tonight since ill be sitting around the fire house on call...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!   NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW TO BUILDING A LT!!!! HELP!!!
Page 1 of 1